The Ancient Citadel In Berlin

The Spandau Citadel is a fortress in Berlin, Germany, one of the best-preserved Renaissance military structures of Europe.

During World War II it wasn't damaged much.

A citadel is an internal part of the fortress for protecting a town from the inside whereas a fortress is usually surrounded by the wall forming the external fortification.
Someone would call this construction the Kremlin.

The Spandau Citadel built in the 2nd half of the 16th century has 4 bastions. Five-cornered bastions were used instead of medieval city walls and towers in order to get protected from the artillery bombardment.

Bastions were continued to be sold till the middle of the 19th century. By the beginning of the 20th century the system was considered as totally old-fashioned.

The citadel is the central part of the city and includes other types of construction such as the palace, barracks and administrative buildings.
Carpenter's workshop.

Smith's shop.

A well-preserved defensive tower built in the 13th century.

The view of the citadel territory and Shpandau region from the top of the tower.

Napoleon was the first to conquer the citadel in 1806. During the French attack it was almost completely destroyed and had to be restored. In 1935, a gas laboratory was installed for military research on nerve gas.
Today the citadel embraces a historical museum, armory museum, modern arts gallery, restaurant and art school for children.

The historical place is filled with the atmosphere of the late Middle Ages, Renaissance and the epoch of great discoveries.

via gavailer


Post a Comment